Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Where Have I Been - MySpace vs. Facebook

I haven't been posting her in awhile. Primarily because I got a notebook months ago and I've been writing in there a lot. I've also been checking out both MySpace and Facebook. Seeing how there's only so much time in a day those three things got a lot more of my attention.

So on to MySpace vs. Facebook. I've been using both social networking sites for a few months now and I'm having trouble deciding which one I prefer. On MySpace I think it's easier to customize your layout and such, but most layouts (including mine) are very sloppy and it's hard to read the text. Facebook is a lot cleaner but everyone's profile looks very similar.

Both suffer from being hard and unintuitive to figure out what you can do there and how to do certain things like update photos and such. I do find Facebook easier than the two but that's not saying a whole lot either.

Initially they are both exciting to use, when you first are setting up different things and adding content and friends, however, that excitement soon ends.

A strange trend I've noticed as well is that people who would normally email me directly now log into either site and email me from there. It's not nearly as direct but it does seem to be more popular. In all fairness I do the same thing ironically.

There is one thing that irritates me with MySpace that really hampers my enjoyment of the site. While looking at different people's profile's I've had it crash my browsers on enough occasions to discourage me to look up too much stuff there. This happens to me both on OS X at home with various browsers and at work running Windows XP with various browsers once again.

Due to that one glaring issue I have to say that Facebook is my preferred social site.

I am still learning the ins and outs of both so in a few months I'll try and post a follow up to see if my opinions have changed any.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Interesting. I prefer MySpace - I have a terrible time with Facebook. I think having the background I do (graphics) I like to mess with photos, graphics, etc.

I have noticed that since I have been using Firefox as my browser, I have far less problems loading sites. Exploder (as dad calls it) was terrible with that.

I'll be interested to see what you think later... :)